Re: [stella] Closed Captioning Query

Subject: Re: [stella] Closed Captioning Query
From: "Eric Ball" <eball@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:56:42 -0400
I did some thinking about this last night.  And I think the best chance is
to create a simplified waveform using the playfield.

The first thing I realized is even the player graphics are limitted to two
levels, so any synthesized waveform would be a square wave.  This also may
mean that the playfield graphics would be as good, as long as the decoder
isn't extremely timing sensitive.  (Which Glenn seems to be suggesting.)

Re-reading the info I have, I just realized that each cycle of the clock
run-in is, in fact, one bit width.  So I was incorrect in saying that the
data bits are modulated.  (And my calculations in 2 are very wrong.) So
each bit is either the presence or absence of a cycle (with 0deg=0IRE and
180deg=50IRE).  Which means the playfield is eligible, depending on how
much the decoder requires a sine wave.