Re: [stella] More flicker, please

Subject: Re: [stella] More flicker, please
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 19:44:46 +0200
Hi Thomas!

>>Left/Right: I don't like what these would cost.

>- All they would need are some additional AND inside
the kernel
>to mask the wrapping bits. Right? Is the reflection the
problem
>here?

No, reflections can be handled. The main problem I see
with ANDing and most of the other solutions you
mentioned (set aside the cycles I don't have for the
moment) is that it'd reduce the the visible space for
another 16 pixels on both sides. So it'd be reduced from
128 to 96 Pixels.
Hm...

>- Or use the trick with all HMOVE-blanks on the left
side. They
>would mask 8 bits.

But not 16.

>- Or make two 8 pixel wide vertical borders using the
PF (like
>a cockpit window).

Which'd turn the croshair & the stars black.

The best solution I could think of so far, would require
8 times the needed ROM, which I was refering to when I
said I didn't like the cost.

>>Top: I didn't get it going without a blind spot. There
>>was always a vertical point where I wasn't able to
>>display a sprite. I was only able to shift that blind
>>spot, but didn't find a way to get rid of it. As I had
>>it working yesterday it was consuming lot's of ROM
(~100
>>bytes) and cycles (~ 5 scannlines) and it still looked
>>crappy, so I discarded that code again.

>Hm, do you really want to leave it that way? Or should
we try
>to find a way together?

I can reinstal the code I had so far and you can give it
a try, if you really like to do that. I didn't get it,
neither with try & error nor with thinking about it.

>BTW: The orange ship seems to pop up very late (seen
from the
>top). I think there is a little bug in your code.

Hm... it requires 2 extra lines for the kernel to
determine wether the next ship is ready for
repositioning. I assume these are part of the "blind
spot" problem I mentioned. But, all I could do was
shifting it :´-(

Greetings,
	Manuel