Re: particle cannons (was Re: [stella] More flicker, please)

Subject: Re: particle cannons (was Re: [stella] More flicker, please)
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 22:22:36 +0200
Hi Chris!

>I STILL haven't been able to see this game since the
first
>version.  (crying on keyboard)  But if I understood
Glenn's
>suggestion right, you want 2 PF bits to start in the
bottom
>corners of the screen.  Then they move up the screen
toward
>the target?  Why can't you use rotate or shift commands
>move the bits?  I assume that they track toward the
target, so
>that left particle doesn't move the same amount
sideways as
>the right paritcle?  If that's the case, it would be
more
>difficult than just rotating the left and mirroring the
PF.
>But if you can do this, it would save space at the cost
of
>some offscreen overhead.

The shots are not closing in on the target, but hitting
the center.

I spent some time thinking about shifting the PF values,
then I found even a better solution.

I could draw one big "X" in the ROM, and just mask the
lines that are invisible on the particular frame.

This'd reduce the data somewhat, but I'd still need 16
tables with the mask data. It'd shrink the data by 40%+
though.

The problem with pure shifting is the crosshair, I
didn't find a general rule to compute the whole PF
appearance in a reasonable # of cycles on the fly.

Greetings,
	Manuel