[stella] I got a single line kernel working :)

Subject: [stella] I got a single line kernel working :)
From: "Dennis Debro" <ddebro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 23:12:14 -0400
I am so excited. I finally got my single line kernel working with a
stable picture :) I didn't think I could do it but it works. The next
step is to test it on my Cuttle Cart.

I definitely couldn't have done this without Piero's PCMSD11 demo or
code submitted to the list. Thomas' skipDraw turned out to be a life
saver :)

I'm attaching screen shots of the 8-bit version of Climber5 and my
screen shot taken from Z26. Notice my player has no hair :)

Trying to get player colors and graphics done on a scan line along with
doing HMOVE was really challenging for me. It helps that the obstacles
are just a straight line and only one color.

I guess the other challenge will be trying to get decent sound out of
Stella simulating the POKEY chip :)

I think I'm having problems with my scan line count. Right now Z26 is
saying I'm producing 276 scan lines. I'm setting vertical blank time to
$2B and overscan time to $23 and using TIM64T. This seems right but I'm
getting too many scan lines. I know my kernel is only producing 192.
I'll take a look it and see what I can figure out.

My kernel seems quite large at 483 bytes. I'm not doing a lot of looping
because I needed the time to update the screen. Later I will look into
trying to reduce it. I'm also looking at ~1034 bytes of code so far.
That's including joystick and console switch checking too. I'm not
posting the code yet because I feel it's really nothing to show. I will
post it when I have at least the player animation and ladder climbing
computations in place.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my joy with you all.