Re: [stella] [POLL]What is everybody working on?

Subject: Re: [stella] [POLL]What is everybody working on?
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 11:19:25 -0500
On Wednesday 06 November 2002 10:36, Christopher Tumber wrote:
> >BTW, you aspiring commercial 2600 developers, speech synth chips are dirt
> >cheap these days, I'm guessing it'd probably be pretty easy for a hardware
> >hacker to hook one up to an Atari cartridge in the same kind of way as
> > those bankswitching schemes, and that'd be a hell of a value-add to
> > entice people to buy physical cartridges. ;)
> [Insert obligatory mention of the VecVoice here]
> http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/200209/msg00098.html

Yeah, I meant to respond to that when it originally got posted but I didn't
have time.  It is cool but (a) sacrifices a joystick port and (b) kinda
eliminates the whole "entice people to buy physical cartridges" thing.

I would tend to use it for my own projects over an on-cartridge design,
assuming it ever gets produced in sufficient quantity for people to be able
to benefit from coding for it.  But I'm remembering a thread about this time
last year about people trying to deliberately write code to make their games
fail on the Cuttle Cart and Supercharger.  I promise you that I would attempt
to hack any game so modified such that it would work on my Cuttle Cart, and
certainly not buy it, but I also promise you that I would perform no such
hack on a cart that expected to be running on a cartridge with a built-in
speech synth :)  A carrot is always better than a stick when you're trying to
sell something.

Rob