[stella] PAL VSYNC timings??

Subject: [stella] PAL VSYNC timings??
From: Dennis Debro <ddebro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 7:18:57 -0500
With the recent discussion about NTSC/PAL conversion brought up by Chris I thought I'd revisit my concerns too.

It was mentioned by Eckhard that he saw problems in games that did things during VSYNC.

At 07.02.2002, 18:41, Eckhard Stolberg wrote:
> I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A game need to do
> three complete uninterrupted lines of VSYNC to work properly
> on all TVs. Some games try to use this time to do some other
> setup work (Solaris and Desert Falcon are known offenders in
> this respect) and this seems to to cause problems on some TVs.

I'm using VSYNC to check the console switches. I just couldn't resist using the 228 machine cycles in VSYNC for this. I'm also doing WSYNCs to give the 3 scan lines needed for VSYNC. I was mostly doing this because I thought that's what Eckhard meant by "uninterrupted lines".

The last I saw of this topic, Chris Wilkson was going to run some tests. Does anyone have these results? I can't find them in the archives.

Take care,
Dennis