[stella] RIOT RAM test

Subject: [stella] RIOT RAM test
From: Dennis Debro <ddebro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 8:24:03 -0500
Eckhard Stolberg wrote:
>When you do this it would be nice, if you could run a little
>RAM test program too. I'm curious to know how random the
>RIOT RAM really is at power-up.

I was going through the collection of suggestions on Climber 5 trying to improve it when I ran across this. I had been in the need to get something done on Stella so I thought...why not. It'd be quick and easy to do and give me a quick fix at the same time.

This is a simple program that will output the RAM values to the screen. Of course I had to use RAM to get this done. But it does at least give an idea of the suspected ramdomness of RAM at power up. Nothing fancy here just your typical 6 digit display. I was playing around with PAL/NTSC colors and scan lines so the right difficulty switch will change from PAL (A) and NTSC (B).

I've run this on 3 emulators and they seem to work fine. I'm not doing anything illegal so it should work on the VCS as well. The idea is to burn this to an EPROM to see what Stella outputs at power up.

This may not be exactly what Eckhard was talking about but it gave me a little statisfaction to get something outputed from Stella.

Now, to get back to my Climber 5 work.

Take care,
Dennis