Re: [stella] FE Bankswitching

Subject: Re: [stella] FE Bankswitching
From: "Chris Larkin" <clarkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 16:50:22 -0800
Here is how FE bankswitching works....

When a JSR or RTS instuction is executed... it causes two consecutive
accesses to the stack $0180 -> $01FF (Usually it's $01FE or $01FF which is
how it got the FE name)... nothing else is supposed to be able to access the
stack twice in a row but those two instructions.

So once you have detected that the stack has been access twice in a row, you
have to read the D5 bit.  If the D5 bit is high (1) then switch to bank one
(or stay in bank 1).... If the D5 bit is low (0) switch to bank 0 (or stay
in bank 0)

It is correct that the sizes.txt file is incorrect for this bankswitch
scheme... it needs to be fixed...

Thanks to Eckhard for helping me with this question :-)

--Chris