Re: [stella] Collaboration

Subject: Re: [stella] Collaboration
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 09:01:35 -0800
At 11:45 PM 1/11/2003 +0100, you wrote:
I doesn't sound simple (even to me ;-), it only  *might* be just
possible.

Note: from the VHS footage I have, DR only had one gremlin on screen at a time.
I just think the gameplay would benefit greatly by having two with the protect/chase aspect going simultaneously. But it's something to fall back on in a worst case.

I'd also finish the game even if we had to use Supercharger RAM as a cheat. Then it could be distributed on mini CD-Rs which might be cool. I'm sure it could be considerably easier to do this kernel if the missile widths, missile positions, and sprite graphics were all stored in strips of RAM.

ask, I (or somebody else) will be glad to help you there. I just want to
be quite sure that you are going to continue DD if you get a working (as
described above) kernel.

I have spent a considerable effort designing the gameplay. I would very much be looking forward to the iterative process of playtesting and tweaking the gameplay. That's what I found most interesting back in the Oystron days on the other end. I was playtesting the game a lot and I think that helped contribute to the final game. It's the kernel that enables the game to be possible, but it's the playtesting loop that makes the game great.

I don't think it will fit into 2K, especially because a highly optimized
kernel could require a lot of extra coding outside.

Even if it would it would be better to go to 4K to add more variations to the game.