Re: [stella] Samantha Fox

Subject: Re: [stella] Samantha Fox
From: "Andrew Davie" <atari2600@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 09:24:04 +1100
That demo uses a crazy idea I had, where there are just two colours -
playfield total black, and sprites total white.  Depending on how long a
pixel is on, that gives its percieved shade of grey.  I cycle through 5
frames.
I decomposed Sam into 5 partial frames, and display them consecutively.  If
you look closely, you see that white is, in fact, not flickering at all.
And darkest grey is flickering the mostest.  I'm sure it would flicker a LOT
less if I used a lesser contrast between the black and the white.  That is,
use a couple of close-intensities, and you'd get a nice spread between
them - using this system.
Anyway, it was just an interesting idea, and worked out pretty good, I
think.
Next thing I'll play with - sometime - is actually changing the colours on
the fly, too (between frames) so that blending pixels gives a selectable
colour.  But that would be more tricky to work out the colours/palette -
this sounds like the ideal job for a UTILITY!
Cheers

PS: In answer to the question - NO, this demo is not using PF.