Re: [stella] Experiment in animation

Subject: Re: [stella] Experiment in animation
From: "Andrew Davie" <atari2600@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 19:57:03 +1100
> Theorically is it possible to do a full movie length on 2600 (assuming ROM
> space is not an issue, just big enough bankswitching to handle it)?  With
an
> old program on my Macintosh, I've been able to convert a 3 minute long MOV
> into animated GIF (huge though and required me to adjust the memory size
> 128MB) but one day I'd love to see a complex game with several FMV  ;-)

I expect in the not too distant future we will see 512K carts for the '2600
with some animation sequences (approx. 48 x 96 pixels in size) - or even
full-screen animations (40 x 192 pixels) - but only a few seconds of
animation.  The precise answer to your question - yes, it is possible to do
"full movie length on 2600" *IF* ROM space is not an issue - and IF you are
prepared to have low resolution/image size.  But I think you underestimate
the amount of space it would require.

Let's say a 20fps movie at 48 x 96 pixels with a 20% efficiency in packing.
Each frame using the current colour-sprite systems being developed by Thomas
and myself.  Let's assume the "full length" movie is a short one - just an
hour long.  So, 20fps x 60 seconds x 60 minutes x 48 pixels x 96 pixels / 8
pixels per byte x 3 colour fields * 0.8 (packing efficiency)  = 97,200 KB  =
Very roughly 100 Megabytes!  It ain't going to happen anytime soon.

Hook up a cartridge to a CD-ROM drive, perhaps - which isn't ENTIRELY
totally out of the question :)  The idea being, a cart plugging into your
'2600 with an interface to a CD player.  The cart addresses data on the CD
as required, and presents to the '2600 on request.  Bizarre, but workable.
That's... what, 640MB which would be about 6 hours of grainly low-res porn.
Mmmh, sounds like the Internet to me.

Cheers