Re: [stella] OT: Disguised as Stella mail

Subject: Re: [stella] OT: Disguised as Stella mail
From: "Bradford W. Mott" <bwmott@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:28:18 -0500
> Did anyone else get an e-mail message titled "Have an excite Lady Day" from
> "stella-main@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"?

stella-main is one of the mailing lists hosted at SourceForge.net for
the Stella emulation project.

> It has a couple of attachments: add.scr and bookmarks.html.  My Linux setup
> claims that ".scr" is an audio file, but I'm betting it's a Windows screen
> saver.  It's also suspicious because if you view it as text, you'll find a
> reference to "FindNextFileA," definitely a Windows API call.
>
> Was this a legitimate message or was it a virus or spam masquerading as
> Stella mail?  (Granted, it's not Stella listserv, but it's close!)

It's not a legitimate message.  I'm guessing it's spam masquerading as
email from the stella-main mailing address.

I'm guessing over the last week or so I've seen about 30 "Have an excite
Lady Day" emails sent to my acm.org account.  These masquerading email
worms/viruses are a major pain...

-- Brad