Re: [stella] Brainstorming: 3D-Corridor

Subject: Re: [stella] Brainstorming: 3D-Corridor
From: Christopher Tumber <christophertumber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:00:40 -0500
>Now, the more I'm thinking about it, the more I like the
>"Star Voyager" principle as Glenn suggested. I think one
>could turn it into a really jawdropping demo, if using
>all available RAM for the PF data, which is calculated
>in real time. (Like stella@themovies using the PF
>instead of a 6-char :-) )

You could do something like I did with Big Dig just pushing values into the PF (except you would be doing bands of colours rather than blocks, obviously). However, while you'll be able to scroll up and down smoothly, scrolling left and right is going to be really coarse.

My suggestion would be:

Use 3 colours. So you can load these 3 colours into A, X and Y at the start of each scanline.

Then, compose each line of P0,P1,M0 and M1 all 3 copies and Ball. Interlace them like the 6 digit score so it looks like:

BA/P0/P1/P0/P1/P0/P1/M0/M1/M0/M1/M0/M1

Missiles/Ball are all of width 8, GRP0=GRP1=255 so this forms a great big chunk of sprite.

You spend the visible portion of the screen doing STA COLUP0/STX COLUP1/STY COLUP0 (&etc)

Your whole screen might look like:

C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1
C1/C2/C2/C2/C2/C2/C2/C2/C2/C2/C2/C2/C1
C1/C2/C3/C3/C3/C3/C3/C3/C3/C3/C3/C2/C1
C1/C2/C3/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C3/C2/C1
C1/C2/C3/C1/C2/C2/C2/C2/C2/C1/C3/C2/C1
C1/C2/C3/C1/C2/C3/C3/C3/C2/C1/C3/C2/C1
C1/C2/C3/C1/C2/C3/C1/C3/C2/C1/C3/C2/C1
C1/C2/C3/C1/C2/C3/C1/C3/C2/C1/C3/C2/C1
C1/C2/C3/C1/C2/C3/C1/C3/C2/C1/C3/C2/C1
C1/C2/C3/C1/C2/C3/C1/C3/C2/C1/C3/C2/C1
C1/C2/C3/C1/C2/C3/C3/C3/C2/C1/C3/C2/C1
C1/C2/C3/C1/C2/C2/C2/C2/C2/C1/C3/C2/C1
C1/C2/C3/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C3/C2/C1
C1/C2/C3/C3/C3/C3/C3/C3/C3/C3/C3/C2/C1
C1/C2/C2/C2/C2/C2/C2/C2/C2/C2/C2/C2/C1
C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1/C1

Or something similar...

C1=Colour1, C2=Colour2, C3=Colour3.

Cycle the colours to create the impression of moving foreward or back. You should be able to shift this pretty smoothly up, down, left and right (though you'll have to be carefull on the timing of the STA COLUP0's (&etc) as you shift horizontally)

Of course you have a big problem if you want to display things like enemy ships, though the playfield is available. Soooo... This may not be useable for an actual game, but it could make a nice transition sequence or demo...

Chris...