Re: [stella] Climber5 source and binary

Subject: Re: [stella] Climber5 source and binary
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 22:54:14 +0200
> >I thought I read some where that on a PAL machine you had to turn off
> >all 3 sound registers to completely turn off the sound. If not you
> >could get a hum. I don't know where I saw this but that's why all 3
> >are done here.
>
> Hm, I have never heard that. Can anybody confirm this information?

In the Stella programmer's guide it says in the section about
PAL/SECAM conversions that you'll get an obnoxious hum on
SECAM, if you try to turn off the sound by setting AUDCx
to 0 instead of setting AUDVx to 0. This is probably what
Dennis is thinking of. There are no problems with PAL sound,
and there is no need to turn all three sound registers off
to mute a VCS sound channel. Just setting AUDVx to 0 should
work on all three console types.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg