RE: [stella] Climber 5 beta...again???

Subject: RE: [stella] Climber 5 beta...again???
From: "Dennis Debro" <ddebro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:59:38 -0400
Hi Manuel,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

> >Scheduled additions...
> >1) Bonus pickup items
> >2) Better vertical animation
> >4) Demo mode
> >3) Title screen music

Noted.

> Have you thought of *programming* the music? Sort of
> like the background noice in Star Ship?

I'll look into that, thanks.

> - There's a bug in Z26 when starting straight into the
> enhanced mode. All girders then build one straight
> vertical line.

Yuck! I thought I had corrected that!

> - Joystick up/down should select options in the title
> screen as well.

OK

> - The climbers walk noices seem pitched to high and are
> too loud. You should find better fitting ones and reduce
> their volume.

Agreed! When play testing I have turned the sound off :) I was thinking
of going with more of a walking sound like in Keystone Kapers.

> - Changing the girder direction with the fire button is
> nice. How about another difficulty option/variant where
> pressing the fire button speeds up the Climber?

I don't know about this one. I never liked speed up chips like the ones
you find in some Ms. Pac-man machines.

> - The game starts off too slow. It's fine in the
> training mode, but the normal and enhanced modes should
> probably already start with what is currently the third
> level.

Hmm...if I did that then the speeds would only increase for level 2 and
no longer. I could start them with level 2 speed. What about that?

> - Instead of bonus items to pick up, you could also have
> additional obstacles falling off vertically from the
> structure like bricks. Maybe this'd help make a nicer
> difficulty instead of just relying on speeding up the
> game in later levels.

Nice idea. Noted.

> - If you'd start the levels in the enhanced variant in
> "pause", you could display the level number and the
> current score until the player starts the action with
> beginning to move.

That would take away from the "hurry up and go" game play :) It would be
nice though...noted.

> - Another suggestion for the switches: Since in the
> enhanced mode the walls never disappear, but just wrap
> around, it'd be nice if there was an option where the
> player could do that as well.

Like a difficulty B setting? I'll think about it but I'd like to have
some handicap on the player.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I know you're busy finishing up Star
Fire.

Take care,
Dennis