[stella] Bounce: what next?

Subject: [stella] Bounce: what next?
From: "Fabrizio Zavagli" <rasty@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:27:44 +0200
Hello everyone!

I've come to a point in the development of "Bounce!" that requires some wise
words of advice, and therefore it's time to post to the list :)

Right now most of the gameplay is in, maybe I will add some more brick and
tweaks, but the basics will likely stay the same (level size, etc.).

So I've started working on a level editor for "Bounce!", and I'm facing the
possibility, like it has already been briefly discussed here, of having some
kind of level creation contest and include a lot of user-submitted levels in
the final game. This is where things could get hard: if I do the contest,
should I get lucky and people will actually like creating levels, I could
end up with quite some levels to test! Not only test, but also rank by
difficulty and eventually judge for some prize (how to judge remains to be
defined as well!!)..
Also, if the levels in the final version will really be a lot (a 32k cart
could contain hundreds), I'm not even sure that it will still make sense
having the player go throu them all in order to complete the game.. but I
don't really know how to do otherwise!

To sum it up, I could do the contest and accept all the levels (with all of
the above troubles), accept a limited number (will still be hard to choose),
or just kill the idea of the contest (the levels would be around 30 in such
case, likely created by me?). In the last option, I could still release the
editor and let everyone change levels to create their very own version of
"Bounce!" :)

So, I really don't know what to do now.. words of advice are badly
needed!!!!

Thanks in advance and ciao!
Fabrizio.-