[stella] RPG progress

Subject: [stella] RPG progress
From: Paul Slocum <paul-stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 00:36:02 -0600
I've made some progress on my RPG engine, and I thought I'd post the latest ROM. Just beware that the ROMs I post for the next month or two will contain some spoilers as you'll be able to access areas in the game that will later require some playing to get to.

I've modified my demo map system into something that will work for a real game. It now supports multiple map areas, multiple tile sets and color schemes, map data stored in it's own bank, and a way to move between different maps. It also has placeholders for code/data that will eventually support invisible doors, doors that require an item to pass, and characters/items you can interact with.

You can enter the hut and castle that are nearby where you start, and if you make your way to the far east edge of the main map, there is a bridge to another area, and yet another area to the north of that. All of the map data is stored in the high bank (the ROM is now 8k) and the entire layout so far is only taking up around 1K (although some of the maps are very simple right now).

Next step will be to create status/inventory display and management. Then I'll start adding in the monsters and get the basic battle system in place.

I think this game is going to be a lot of fun, but man, is it going to be a lot of work!! But I don't think anything in the game is going to be as much of a pain as that map system, so at least the hardest part is done.

(Sorry for the bad controls, will improve soon)

-paul