[stella] music, music, music!

Subject: [stella] music, music, music!
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 19 Feb 2004 05:03:24 -0000
So I got to my fencepost error in my music kernal by displaying
some counters as PF1 and player graphic data, and then cranking
down Z26 to like 3 Frames Per Second. I'm not sure why I didn't
find it before, I think previously I might have screwed up my
music data and thus obscured the real problem that I sensed was
lurking in the engine itself.

To get the rhythm of the music, I created a 10 line java program
that would show me the length of time between Enter-keystrokes.
I figure 24 frames per quarternote works pretty well, since it's
divisible by both 4 and 3, so you can do triplet stuff as well
as normal eigth and sixteenth notes.

It's nice to be able to put a riff into atari-ese.  Oddly enogh,
the 4 bar pattern I used isn't one of the ones I have from my
days playing tuba in highschool for other guys to improvise over,
but rather made of these 4 notes this toy ukulele I got as a gift
happened to be tuned to.  (well, really, it's just 4 sequential
notes on a chromatic scale, but when I started playing it, it
fell into a pattern that reminded me of something I heard in
a Mega Man game once upon a time) I'm especially happy with the
way the percussion came out.

You can hear the results at
http://alienbill.com/joustpong/20040218.bin
source at
http://alienbill.com/joustpong/20040218.source.txt

I just kind of cut and paste into my game from the minikernal
I was developing on, and I think I managed to get a minor frame skip
problem when select is hit, but overall I'm very pleased with the
results.

Again, I welcome any feedback, though I'm more concerned with
the gameplay physics / AI right now.

"There are two adults and one child. Majority rules.
 Live like an animal or die." --James Israel