Re: [stella] how much memory

Subject: Re: [stella] how much memory
From: "Andrew Davie" <atari2600@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:29:15 +1100
> How much of the 128 bytes is it safe to use?

It's safe to use 128 bytes less 2 * number of subroutine calls you've made
at any one time (the return address is pushed onto the stack for each call
you make, and removed when you return) less number of bytes each of those
subroutines push onto the stack, if you do that.

Typically, modern programmers seem to reserve 2-4 bytes for subroutine calls
(ie: allow nesting of up to 2 levels) and the rest is free for use.

> Specifically, Andrew Davie's horizontal positioning routine
> seems to be doing some odd stuff.

That wouldn't surprise me :)

> I guess I'll have to start actually using single bit methodolgy
> for all my damn booleanvariables...

Don't forget, overlays are a good option for saving memory, too.

Cheers