Re: [stella] JoustPong: feedback please on ball speed

Subject: Re: [stella] JoustPong: feedback please on ball speed
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 4 Mar 2004 16:03:14 -0000
> I do have an idea, if you're willing to break the single-button purity of the
> controls -- have the joustick control lance position.  Substitute that for
> the old curved-surface-simulation that other PONGs use.
>
> I wonder whether players might instinctively use the joystick to try to
> influence the ball when they strike it, anyway.

Hrm. It's an interesting idea. It does break the single-button
paradigm, but that's not an absolute dealbreaker.

Are you suggesting that up/down joystick totally determines the angle,
or just influences it, adds a little english?
And if that's the case, does a "flat" joystick leave the ball going
directly horizontal?

I don't think I'd be smart enough to make the computer AI take advantge
of it.

"I'm a good influence on everyone I meet-- but they don't realize until
 decades later.  That's what I keep telling myself." --David Johnson