Re: [stella] Black screen o' death is probably the TIA, right?

Subject: Re: [stella] Black screen o' death is probably the TIA, right?
From: Adam Thornton <adam@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:05:51 -0600
On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 10:03, Chris Wilkson wrote:
> yes!  If you don't already have a scope, I recommend getting one with TV
> triggering capability...infinitely useful if you're hacking video game
> hardware.

Got any suggestions for specific, inexpensive, used models?

> Ooh.  Bad hacking technique.

Well, it's not as bad as it sounds: "unwiring" is simply pulling the 40
wires from the two sides of the socket; there's no desoldering
involved.  The wires, however, do pass over the TIA which is why I have
to do it.  I wish I had had two 20-conductor SIPP cables, instead of
having to cut a bunch of 18 AWG, but....

> Do you know exactly what you shorted to ground?

Nope.  If I did, I probably wouldn't have to be sounding like an idiot
on the Stella list.

...a bit later...

AAARGH.  Well, I'm relieved, but idiotic.  While taking all the wires
from the socket, I realized that at some point the solder joint between
the jumper from the pin 20 (er, that'd be +5V) bus and the power bus had
given way.

With the TIA in place in the motherboard again, all is well.

I was simply not giving power to the TIA.  D'OH.

Adam