Re: [stella] Black screen o' death is probably the TIA, right?

Subject: Re: [stella] Black screen o' death is probably the TIA, right?
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:03:48 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Adam Thornton wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 09:09, Chris Wilkson wrote:
> > Ummm...maybe.  Do you have an o'scope available?
>
> No, but maybe this is a good excuse to buy one.

yes!  If you don't already have a scope, I recommend getting one with TV
triggering capability...infinitely useful if you're hacking video game
hardware.

> > Does the sound still work?
>
> Nope.  In fact, the behavior is the same whether there's something or
> nothing in the TIA socket: black screen.  I have not yet pulled the TIA
> from my board and plugged it directly back into the socket (it's going
> to take some unwiring to do so) but I expect it'll show the same thing.

Ooh.  Bad hacking technique.  Always assume that you'll have to remove
the chips later on.  Don't run wires over chips, don't solder directly
to the pins, etc.  It saves sooooo much grief and sorrow.  :)

Do you know exactly what you shorted to ground?  It might help troubleshoot.
Meanwhile, do take the TIA chip out and return it to the motherboard.
Hopefully something else blew up and not the TIA.

-Chris