RE: [stella] Reflex: Paddle woes

Subject: RE: [stella] Reflex: Paddle woes
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 2 Apr 2004 19:09:04 -0000
> I agree with Kirk: this looks like a driving controller game to me.  You'd
> have to spin the controller a bunch of times to get all the way around the
> board, but playing it, I notice you usually don't have to move very far
> between hits.  I think there's a good chance it could work.

Though again, driving controllers aren't easy to come by.
If they're easy to read they'd be a nice addition, however.

> I think paddles would not work very well.  The fact that they have a stop
> point would be really annoying.  I seriously doubt you could get paddle
> reading code in there anyway.  You'd probably have to read them on every
> scanline in the kernal, and I don't see that happening.  And I'm skeptical
> about whether you can get enough resolution reading them in Overscan and/or
> VBlank.

Again, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, what's the
estimate for how long it takes, in machine cycles or scanlines?
Because moving it to, say, the Overscan (assuming you're not
needing that time for game logic) ISN'T a matter of fine resolution,
since you can spend all your dang time polling for the charge; it's
the risk of not using the full range of the paddle, e.g. the thing
hasn't gone off so you just say "outta time, just call it maximum"

I guess this weekend I can try whipping up some sample code. Maybe I
should tell Al to put some of my royalties towards a stelladaptor or
two...(I think I've budgeted spending my royalties like 2 or 3 times
over...it's "paid" for my hotel in Philly, part of my iPod, some gaming
gear at Philly, etc etc ;-)

> I looked at your kernal and I'm thinking you can probably free up quite a
> few cycles by unrolling it.  You've got plenty of free space anyway.  Not
> sure what else you want to add, but you've already got a few free
> cycles.  I bet you could display a couple of missiles or the ball.  Maybe
> add some powerups or something?
>
> Anyway, the game looks great.
>
> -paul

    "If your sexual fantasies were truly of interest to others,
        they would no longer be fantasies."--Fran Lebowitz