Re: [stella] Reflex: Paddle woes

Subject: Re: [stella] Reflex: Paddle woes
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 21:07:18 +0200
> So 400 is the upper limit.  Are you saying at the other end,
> it may be, in effect, "instant"?

Yes, usually the Atari paddle already reaches it's lowest value
before the movement ends. But if you can, it still might be a
good idea to wait for a couple of scanlines, just in case.

> It was also nice to hear from Paul that a lot of games don't
> use the full range, I thought it might be some kind of "requirement"

Most games only use a pretty small part of the possible
paddle range. Even the largest paddle games only count for
less than 200 scanlines. They might delay the paddle checking
until the active part of the screen though, so that they
actually might test for scanlines 56-220 after releasing the
capacitor from ground for example.

> Speaking of MondoPong, is the paddle reading why the gameplay
> is confined to a smaller part of the screen?

That is something that probably Piero should answer. But I doubt
that paddle reading is a problem here. Displaying two players
and two missiles should leave you enough time to read two paddles
too.

BTW, I saw on your new website that you are hosting a local
copy of PCAE. Do you know when the PCAE homepage went away,
and does anyone know if John will put up a new one?

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg