RE: [stella] NTSC or PAL Dev ?

Subject: RE: [stella] NTSC or PAL Dev ?
From: "Lee Fastenau" <stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 22:52:19 -0600
> But if you plan a "better" conversion, where the additional PAL
> scanlines are utilized and the game speed remains the same, then you
> should make your code a bit more flexible.

Sounds like you think a game could somehow be "enhanced" in PAL mode due to
more processing elbow room.  I guess I haven't finished a game yet, so I
haven't felt the pain of leaving out features due to cycle restrictions.  I
guess I have a hard time with idea of a PAL version of a game being better
than the NTSC version (or even vice versa), especially if they're sitting on
the same cart.  Perhaps the enhancement could be some scrolling credits a la
Activision at the bottom of the screen for PAL users...  It wouldn't alter
the gameplay, so NTSC users wouldn't have much to gripe about.  On separate
carts, however, I could more easily accept the idea of "Reflex for NTSC" and
"Reflex+ for PAL."

It does seem wasteful not to take advantage of the extra cycles though.
-Lee