[stella] Reflex: Source of PAIN!

Subject: [stella] Reflex: Source of PAIN!
From: "Lee Fastenau" <stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 22:06:21 -0500
[Sorry if duplicate... sent with wrong account again]

Relatively slow [stella] day... so here's the latest binary and source for
Reflex.

NOTES ABOUT THE BINARY:
	* Changing # of players/controllers has NO EFFECT in gameplay yet.
	* Hit SELECT to change game modes/controllers or reset the game when
playing.
	* Driving control (steering wheel icon) is not yet supported.
	* Hit RESET to start game.
	* Push joystick left and right to move paddle counter-clockwise and
clockwise, respectively.
	* Paddle reflection needs MUCH work.
	* Ball velocity needs MUCH work. (if it's too slow, let it go out of
bounds... speed will randomize next round)
	* Still no "win" detection when board clears.

There's a high level (and incomplete) to-do list in the source now.  In lieu
of solving some problems with the gameplay (y'know, that trivial part of any
game project), I opted to clean up the code (a lot) and spend some time on
the title/options screen.

One of the most important changes in the source is the heavier use of
JSR/RTS.  I don't believe the calls go any deeper than 2 levels, using 4
bytes of stack space at most.  The JSR's have made the code much more
flexible and makes managing game "states" a cinch.  While the code is easier
to navigate, I have to admit that I've cut back on the commenting.  I'm
getting pretty comfortable with assembly and am coding a bit faster, which
is not to say I'm great at it... but I do have a cool gameMode byte that
contains a 3-bit counter and 5 mode flags! :)

All manner of feedback is welcome and even encouraged!
-Lee