Re: [stella] Game prototype in Java

Subject: Re: [stella] Game prototype in Java
From: Christopher Tumber <christophertumber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 01:00:06 -0400
>http://www.atari2600.org/GOBS/GreatBallsOfSlime.html  is a pretty basic
>implementation in Java of a game I'd like to do for the '2600.  Before
>starting the '2600 version I thought it might be easier to write it in Java
>and fixup the gameplay -- and see if the game idea is good enough.  My Java
>is very average, so the above may be buggy and/or slow and/or not work at
>all.
>Controls are

Have you mentioned this before? Or am I stuck in a big deja vu this week-end?

Kinda reminds me of Quarth mixed with Astrosmash.

I think the concept is very good, however I think the current implementation is quite problematic - Given the uniform way in which the slime falls, once any part of the slime gets to the bottom it seems better to just let the slime fall and get to the next level than to actually keep shooting the slime. Shooting the slime actually becomes detrimental since it's better to let the screen fill so the orange bottom stops filling and the slime resets than to try and stop the slime in one section while the slime is pouring down and filling the screen with orange from another part of the screen.

I dunno if power-ups will address this, at the very least I think you really need to change the slime's "physics" so it doesn't fall so uniformaly (I realise you likely already intend to do this, but since you're looking for comments I think it's important enough that it needs mentioning). Or maybe the orange fill at the bottom shouldn't flow, and should build only where the slime falls so you can forget about a part of the screen and only concentrate on defending a small part (like in Missile Command). Or maybe it can just be attributed to vertical movement being way too slow compared to the slime's speed. Anyway, there's a real balancing problem there.

Chris...