Re: [stella] Announce: Z26 on Linux!

Subject: Re: [stella] Announce: Z26 on Linux!
From: Stephen Anthony <stephena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:21:24 -0230
On April 16, 2004 12:42 pm, B. Watson wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Stephen Anthony wrote:
> > Good luck.  I've been trying to testers for the past year for
> > Stella. Either nobody is interested in testing, or nobody is
> > interested in Stella.  Maybe I should do a 1.4 pre-release and see
> > if it generates some interest ...

First of all, I didn't mean to come across as attacking anyone for not
doing testing.  I was just disillusioned with the fact that nobody
seemed interested in Stella anymore.  It seems that was more my fault
than anyone else, since I didn't post in the right places.

> Well, I am interested in Stella. I've been using it since something
> like version 0.7, and I read your CVS log emails with interest. At
> one point I was working on a debugger for Stella, but it's on hold
> until I learn to code proper C++ (instead of coding as though I were
> using C).

Yes, I still have all your emails to Thomas about the debugging stuff,
as well as the patches to Stella 1.1.

> Also, nobody on this list seemed too enthusiastic about a
> command-line, text-mode debugger with a UI like the DOS DEBUG
> command... which is what I was working on, because I'm
> GUI-challenged.

And that's part of the reason why I haven't added the code yet (lack of
time being another reason).  The code and ideas themselves are sound,
and the fact that it's C (vs. C++) is very easy to fix.  Having a GUI
that is multi-platform is my main concern.

> Actually, I've got an idea about debugging... why not use a network
> protocol, and have Stella and Z26 both implement it? That way,
> anyone could write a client, with any UI desired. It would be an
> ASCII line-oriented protocol, like STMP or POP3, easy to implement,
> with an RFC-style specification... abstract enough that any 2600
> emulator should be able to implement the server side (though probably
> not abstract enough for other (non-2600) emulators to use!)
>
> This would be pretty far in the future (after the Z26
> codebase stabilizes, and after the next release of Stella).
>
> What do you think?

This sounds interesting, and I definitely want to discuss it further.
But you are right, it will have to be far in the future, since I still
have some basic stuff to get working in the Windows SDL port of Stella,
not to mention actually getting a release done (1.3 was released in
Feb. of 2003).

Steve