Re: [stella] Announce: z26 on Linux!

Subject: Re: [stella] Announce: z26 on Linux!
From: Stephen Anthony <stephena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 11:58:55 -0230
On April 17, 2004 06:10 am, John Saeger wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 05:45, Stephen Anthony wrote:
> > First of all, congrats on the port to Linux.  I guess I have some
> > competition for Stella now (although Stella has the home-town
> > advantage, since it was first designed on Linux :)

> But as far as *competition* and the *home-town advantage* goes, I
> have no idea what you're talking about Stephen.  It's just a hobby.
> Lighten up dude.  ;-)  But something we were thinking might be
> cool...  You know how you have KStella?  How hard would it be to do
> something like that for z26?  You know, maybe call it k26?  We could
> use something like that.  Just a thought...

Notice the smiley after I said that.  I said that in jest; but what I
said is still true.  There was once only one 2600 emulator for Linux,
now there's two.  So in a way, they are competing, in a similar way
that KDE and Gnome compete.  That is, there are now more choices for
users, and development in one may spur development in the other.  But
they're still competing :)

As for a z26 frontend, I wonder how hard it would be to add support to
KStella?  It would be probably be slightly harder than just creating
another frontend, but having two frontends that do exactly the same
thing would annoy users, and there would always be slight differences
between them.  I think the code in KStella is sufficiently abstracted
that I could add dialog boxes with options for z26 instead of Stella.
At the code level, that's very easy, since KStella essentially just
checks checkboxes and generates a commandline.  The Stella-specific
stuff is actually in only a few places.

But I'd want to keep the name as KStella, since that's what is was
called before I started working on it.  The 'Stella' in KStella could
always refer to the stella chip in the Atari, and not necessarily the
Stella emulator.

Or someone can go and create another complete frontend.  But I think the
duplication of resources would be a waste.

Steve