Re: [stella] Announce: z26 on Linux!

Subject: Re: [stella] Announce: z26 on Linux!
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 16:23:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, John Saeger wrote:

> So what would you call the resulting emulator if you accomplish what you
> proposed in a message on Mar 15, 2004 where you said:
>
> "I've come to the conclusion that the only way to do it is port the
> relevant sections of z26 to C or C++ and integrate it into Stella."
>
> given that the original emulator was called "z26"?

I think it doesn't matter: the `relevant sections' he was talking about
are the TIA sound routines... which have already been ported to Linux,
and which don't quite work (exhibits similar sync problems to Stella's
TIA code).

The lesson here is that real-time audio is not a trivial problem to
solve on Linux. I may play around with scheduling (set POSIX real-
time priority) and see if that helps. If it does, it'll fix the
problem with Stella, too... but it'll require both emulators to
be run as root. Blah.

--
B.