Re: Aw: Re: [stella] The future of Stella (i.e. debugger needed)

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] The future of Stella (i.e. debugger needed)
From: Stephen Anthony <stephena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 10:58:45 -0230
On May 22, 2004 05:32 am, John Saeger wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 20:02, Glenn Saunders wrote:
> > Brad probably isn't in a position to release some of this code back
> > into the Stella distribution, although he can probably give hints on
> > how to approach them.
>
> Why wouldn't he be in a position to release it Glenn?  You see, here is
> the rub.  For the closed source versions of Stella to be legal, a
> completely original implementation of Tia sound must exist.  But I'll
> never know if it's really original if I never get to see it.

Why would that be true?  First of all, Stella was never closed source per
se.  You could see the code.  It just wasn't GPL, which means that
changes couldn't be re-released.  The last version of Stella that was
this way was version 1.1.  In that version, Stella generated sound by
means of an external sound server application.  That sound server
application *was* GPLed.  In fact, that's why the sound code *was*
external; because a GPLed piece of code couldn't be integrated into a
non-GPLed codebase.  Once the whole codebase was GPLed for version 1.2,
we began the task of reintegrating the sound code into the core.  That
work continues to this day.

> And all you guys who think I'm *hostile*, this is the reason.  In my
> heart of hearts I don't believe it really exists.  So go ahead and
> circle the wagon guys.  But here is where the body is buried.
>
> So show me the source code.  I'll even sign an NDA.  And you don't need
> to worry about me ripping it off.  I don't need it.

I can honestly say I don't know what the hell you're talking about.  If
you have some beef with someone else, take it up with them.  I have no
knowledge of the politics or disagreements that other developers have had
in the past, and I want no part of them.

And for the record, as this is my last posting on the subject, I'm saying
this (again) for the last time; I haven't taken *any* code from z26, and
at this point I really don't want to.  If you don't believe that, look at
the CVS logs.

Steve