Re: [stella] stella bitterness

Subject: Re: [stella] stella bitterness
From: Stephen Anthony <stephena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 11:08:56 -0230
On May 22, 2004 09:52 am, Manuel Rotschkar wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> > Yeah you're right.  I'll go crawl back in my hole now.
>
> Here's a better idea: Help Stephen fixing his sound code.
>
> If the two of you would just work out all problems together, both
> Stella and Z26 could have a portable and solid common sound core, with
> both projects (and our community) profiting from it.

I honestly don't know what the problems are.  It seems to be obvious that
there is bitterness, but I *really* don't know what it stems from.

I'm an Open Source programmer.  I've worked on many projects, and I can
say without a doubt that I've NEVER encountered resistance and hostility
like this before.

Some have said that copying and pasting isn't the way to go.  I agree to
an extent.  But if something works so well in one application, and the
person (ie, me) has no idea how to fix it in another application, what's
wrong with using the *ideas* that makes the first one work?  Do we have
to recreate something just for the sake of recreating it?  Open Source
was built on the fact that you reuse code/ideas to further your goals.
If someone doesn't agree with that, they should not use an open (ie, GPL)
license.

Steve