RE: [stella] AOTM AFOS

Subject: RE: [stella] AOTM AFOS
From: "Lee Fastenau" <stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 07:57:29 -0500
> P.S. There are plenty more ideas of another games coming to my
> mind;) Could
> anyone tell me where I can find more about sprite positioning and
> "reusing"
> these objects? (I mean, making 128379278 aliens out of 2 players).

The following articles describe (very well) timing and vertical delay, two
critical components of most complex graphics kernels.

First is Nick Bensema's Guide to Cycle Counting on the Atari 2600.  This
explains how clock cycles translate to horizontal positioning.
http://www.io.com/~nickb/atari/doc/nb6502_1.txt

And here is an excellent description of vertical delay (VDELPx).  This
article was key to my understanding of the six-digit score kernel, which is
basically a six-sprite kernel.
http://www.biglist.com/cgi-bin/wilma/wilma_hiliter/stella/200007/msg00104.ht
ml

There are infinite ways to code a multi-sprite kernel, but understanding
those important topics should give you a good foundation for developing your
own.  A couple of tricks that I see some experienced Stella programmers use
involve the use of multiple kernels and/or dynamic code generation and
execution in RAM.  The latter is a bit of wizardly stuff.

Anyway, your game is great.  I like it because I'm VERY good at it. :)  Keep
it up.

-Lee