Re: [stella] Reflex: To NTSC/PAL50/PAL60, or not to NTSC/PAL50/PAL60

Subject: Re: [stella] Reflex: To NTSC/PAL50/PAL60, or not to NTSC/PAL50/PAL60
From: Glenn Saunders <mos6507@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 20:08:44 -0700
At 02:30 PM 8/3/2004, you wrote:
I haven't seen PAL versions of any game, so I can't say what the common practice is for compensating for alternate video modes. What I do know is that NTSC and PAL60 only differ in palette, while PAL50 differs in palette, aspect ratio and execution speed. So, ideally, PAL50 games should compensate for all three.

You can't compensate for aspect ratio for sprites for the most part because you can't exactly scale a sprite to sub-scanline levels. So if a scanline is 10% shorter in PAL50 than NTSC then sprites are going to be shorter even if you somehow add some extra padding to extend the playfield out to the edges. So with that, combined with the palette, sound, and speed differences, an NTSC game is just not going to be quite the same as a PAL game no matter what you do.