Re: [stella] Missing messages

Subject: Re: [stella] Missing messages
From: Russ Perry Jr <slapdash@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:51:02 -0500
At 7:59 PM -0500 9/8/04, Albert Yarusso wrote:
> I was just stating that they are missing from the archive right
> now, and I asked if there were plans to add them, that's all.

Yes, but you were using the term "missing", which I was trying to
carefully point out wasn't the right term, as it implies that the
archive will NEVER have those posts.

> I never stated in my message that I thought that alone was worth
> leaving Biglist over.

I didn't mean to imply you had, but others ARE calling to leave
Biglist, so what I said was valid.

> The possibility certainly exists that there was a hiccup in
> Biglist and only part of the list got it.  While the TCP/IP
> packets certainly get routed through many servers, the Biglist
> mail server should be connecting directly to the recipient's
> SMTP server, and if a message is not able to be sent, it should
> be re-queued for transmission again later.  When several people
> do not receive a message, that suggests to me that it is a
> problem on Biglist's end.

But if they would be re-queued, why wouldn't they get through
eventually?  And if they connect directly to the SMTP server,
then wouldn't the problem quite likely be on that SMTP server
if other SMTP servers are accepting the mail?

/* ----- */

At 8:23 PM -0500 9/8/04, Albert Yarusso wrote:
> http://biglist.com/2BigList/services/price.shtml
>
> Even their cheapest plan, $40 a month, is far too expensive for
> a list like this.  I don't even see any information about free
> mailing lists, was stella grandfathered in?

I don't know the full story...  Perhaps Glenn knew someone there?

/* ----- */

At 9:34 PM -0400 9/8/04, Rob wrote:
> So are there people at biglist who are Stella subscribers?
> Because it seems to me that a list run on servers controlled by
> one or more Stella members is going to receive higher priority
> than one running on an uninterested party's hardware out of the
> goodness of their hearts.

That assumption might be trumped by the fact that, even though
the list is donated, the people who donated it are at work, NOT
trying to do it in their free time.  And do we really want the
few 2600 coders out there maintaining a mailing list instead of
coding 2600 games?
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729   slapdash@xxxxxxx [NEW!]   VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||