Re: [stella] Confused newbie...

Subject: Re: [stella] Confused newbie...
From: "Dennis Debro" <dennis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 11:28:15 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Kevin,

> Yeah, I read through both of those once but it appears that I may need
> to do so again...

Don't get discouraged. We were all newbies at one time and some of us
(like me) are still learning :-)

You might also want to look at the archives for source samples. This
helped me out a lot. The archives are full of information. I hope they get
updated soon.

> And I guess 37 scanlines is probably plenty of time for a pretty
> simple game like the one I've got in mind, i just wanted to see how
> the "pros" did it.

I wouldn't call your game idea simple. From the description I read it
seems you'll be doing some variable flicker and positioning the 2 sprites
in the kernel (if you show the score too).

As for VSYNC time I generally leave it alone. Eckhard reported weird
behavior if certain things were done during VSYNC. It's sad as it wastes
~228 cycles :-( Then again the *new* way of doing VSYNC is a nice ROM
saver so it could be a trade off.

Take care,
Dennis