RE: [stella] Another kernel is rolling

Subject: RE: [stella] Another kernel is rolling
From: "Aaron" <stella-receiver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 14:08:40 -0400
Dennis Debro said:
> @Aaron
> Is there anything you're doing differently for the title that you're not
> doing for the main game screen? I haven't looked that closely into the
> source to find this.

Well, there's a lot more code executing in-game, and obviously different
stuff is put on the screen.  The overall structure of the program is
largely the same, like the way VBLANK and the timers are used.

Keep in mind it's possible to get the rolling to stop on the title screen
by taking all the code out of overscan, except for the timers and such.  I
was never able to find any single piece of code that when put back, caused
the rolling to start again (basically anything did it).

So what I'm thinking is that the 9-byte VERTICAL_SYNC is /almost/ good
enough, but may or may not work depending on some obscure (but valid)
hardware state.  Does anyone know if similar things happen if you sync for
less than 3 lines?