Re: [stella] problems with monitor syncing

Subject: Re: [stella] problems with monitor syncing
From: Erik Mooney <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 20:12:58 -0400
On Mon, 2 May 2005 17:59:06 -0400, you wrote:

>99% of VGA monitors cannot sync to a horizontal frequency lower than about
>twice that of a television (i.e. most VGA's can't do less than about 30
>kHz.)  Some really old VGA monitors will, but I wouldn't expect that people
>are going to own these monitors.

The exact number would be 28800 Hz.  Any modern monitor must be able to
sync to that, as that's 480-scanline VGA resolution at 60 Hz.  There's no
requirement for modern monitors to sync to anything lower than that, so
they probably won't go much lower.  Modern video cards (heck, even most
older VGA cards) support anything less than 400 scanlines by doubling
them.

You'd have to go back to an EGA monitor with 350-scanline native
resolution to get guaranteed support for a number as low as 21000 Hz, and
even they might not go as low as the 15750 for NTSC.