RE: [stella] problems with monitor syncing

Subject: RE: [stella] problems with monitor syncing
From: "Fred Quimby" <c9r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 23:23:30 -0400
I believe that there are online databases somewhere that have the specs on
most monitors.  Monitorworld.com maybe?  However, the only VGA monitors that
will sync this low are very, very old.  Some of the first NEC Multisyncs
could, for example, which were made in the late 80's or early 90's or
thereabout.  I know because I used to have one.

One alternative is a projector if you have access to one.  Most are designed
to display NTSC via composite video, so there's a good chance that they
would sync to 15 kHz if this was connected to the VGA input.

Another alternative is a television that accepts VGA input.  These aren't
particularly common but they do exist, usually in 27-36" sizes, but there's
also a good chance that it will sync to 15.7 kHz just fine through the VGA
input.

Either way, though, I think it would be cool if this would support native
VGA too instead of just composite video/S video or whatnot.  You might be
able to do it all within the FPGA, as you just need a shift register or two
to hold the pixel data from the TIA, and then you could basically copy much
of the TIA display/chroma/sync logic, except make this part display the data
at twice the clock rate two times each for each scanline.