Re: [stella] WIP: PlayerPal v2.0

Subject: Re: [stella] WIP: PlayerPal v2.0
From: Kirk Israel <kirkjerk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 11:10:46 -0400
On 5/13/05, Lee Fastenau <stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > learned I didn't have to be quite so weirdly-OOish.
>
> Still, I wouldn't abandon OO in JavaScript.  It has peculiarities in its implementation, but as you know, OO can make life easier in a lot of cases.  Particularly in game and UI coding with JS.

Oh, I know.
I had trouble getting mental traction understanding the reflex code,
all the prototyping made it tought to know what was doing the actual
work, and how.

I do think it would be cleaner if there were a easy cross platform way
of assigning event handlers via "class"es rather than on a per-element
basis

I do see that OO would make this cleaner, letting me more clearly
delineate contracts and hiding the private bits and all that, as well
as much better semantic grouping.  I guess it just doesn't seem easy
to do in Javascript, especially in the one-page model I'm hell bent on
following here.  I mean the relationship between DOM objects and
Javascript objects seems a little strained or something.  I dunno...

> > rules, now can someone code it for me?" -- especially if I have it
> > spit out ready to DASM source, running the thing around on screen.
>
> Which will subsequently provoke us to respond, "Please visit Kirk's 2600 101." :)

Heh, yeah.  Or Davies' forum. I wonder what that guy thinks of me. I
know he's a MUCH better coder--he has such a dry sense of humor it's
tough to know when he's really ticked and when he's just taking the
piss.

> > problem then is how to fade out the background so it's strong contrast
> > with the current layer.  Maybe taking each color value and dividing
> > each of the R,G,B component by 2?  Or do you have a different CSS-y
> > trick in mind?
>
> I didn't look closely at how you're setting cell colors, but yeah, I'd use some multiplier as you described.  I was sort of half-joking about onion-skinning though.  Whenever I see a program that supports animating frames, I always look for an onion-skin feature.  However, this particular editor is probably lo-res enough not to really need it... particularly once copy-paste starts working.  (But it would still be a nice feature! ;)

Yeah...if I did it I wouldn't do more than one frame.
 We'll see.

Part of the problem is, if you were using a light background and a
dark sprite, it would make more sense to scale the "background layer"
lighter rather than darker...