Re: [stella] WIP: PlayerPal v2.0

Subject: Re: [stella] WIP: PlayerPal v2.0
From: Kirk Israel <kirkjerk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 10:03:10 -0400
On 5/13/05, Lee Fastenau <stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Wow, Kirk, nice!  This is looking to be a great tool.

Thanks, Lee. You already know about how I feel about your role in
this, reflex editor really was an inspiration, especially once I
learned I didn't have to be quite so weirdly-OOish.

> If you add:
> onselectstart="document.selection.clear();"

I'll give that a shot, thanks!

> The only criticism I have is that the color picker responds too slowly in
> IE, but otherwise it's a smorgasbord of great features.  I see lots of
> coders taking advantage of this editor.

Yeah, IE seems more sluggish than firefox.  Ah well, code first,
optimize later ;-)

Re: coders, it really was 2 guys on AA praising the old crappy version
that lit a fire under me. That kind of stuff really is the payback
I've put into 2600 101 and the cookbook and those tools.  I just
wanted to make sure SOMEONE found them useful before atari becomes so
distant a memory that no one wants to homebrew...

I find the editor fun to use... "can I make a purple robed wizard
following the per scanline rules?" etc...I almost worry it might
provoke a flood of the n00bs saying "look i made this, it follows the
rules, now can someone code it for me?" -- especially if I have it
spit out ready to DASM source, running the thing around on screen.

> BTW, I noticed something missing from your TODO list...  Onion-skinning! ;)

Heh....interesting thought. (at first I thought you were talking about
some kind of CSS buzzword, like "skinning" a site or mp3 player, now I
see you mean from a traditional animators point of view.)

You know, I could almost see a "use current frame as background for
onion skin" / "clear onion skin background" button that would
effectively set the background for the main canvas.  I think the
problem then is how to fade out the background so it's strong contrast
with the current layer.  Maybe taking each color value and dividing
each of the R,G,B component by 2?  Or do you have a different CSS-y
trick in mind?

> Keep it up!

Thanks!
Kirk