Re: [stella] Stella Debugger RFC

Subject: Re: [stella] Stella Debugger RFC
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:17:07 -0400
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Glenn Saunders wrote:

> When the debugger is able to read in listing files and/or ASM files,
> this will greatly assist in the disassembly, of course.

Oddly enough, reading symbol files in the debugger is what I'm working on
right at the moment... which isn't quite as cool as reading the listing
or source, but it's a step in the right direction.

> At that stage it should be possible for that sourcecode to include
> debugger hints in DASM comments.

That day is far in the future, at the rate we're going :)

So everyone knows what's up: I'm working on the "debugger guts" and
CLI interface. Stephen Anthony is working on a debugger GUI that will
use the same backend as my CLI. The 2.0 release is a few months away,
but we're planning to release alpha Windows binaries on this list (or at
least announce them here), so we can get some feedback from the people
who are actually going to use the debugger.

Expect the first alpha binary in a couple of weeks.

Of course, you don't have to wait: you can always grab the latest CVS
code from stella.sourceforge.net and compile it yourself. We already have
a useful subset of the debugger features working: single-step, trace,
dump/change memory & registers, disassembly, rudimentary cycle counting...

--
B.