Re: [stella] Stella Debugger RFC

Subject: Re: [stella] Stella Debugger RFC
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:32:31 -0400
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Fred Quimby wrote:

>> break inst=rts or pc=@pc+3 or sp=@sp
>
> This is more than adequate... I think that some commercial debuggers aren't
> even this comprehensive, as I found out from porting one to a new embedded
> platform.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Unfortunately we're a long way from there
right now :(

> Nonstandard code or horribly erroneous code could crash the whole
> system.  Basically, if everything stopped responding, the reason was not
> necessarily in the code but maybe the debugger itself,

The code you were debugging could crash the debugger? Ouch. We're trying
to avoid that, at least... though there's a school of thought that says
it's better to crash than give wrong results. Of course, you don't always
have a choice (if you knew there was a bug there, you'd get rid of it..)

> and good programmers
> understand the limitations and work around them, as we hopefully will...

I hope so. Still, this debugger is probably only of interest to the
members of this list (are there any hardcore 2600 devs that don't read
it?), so we want to eliminate the limitations as people point them out...
assuming we can.

--
B.