RE: [stella] Stella 2.0 alpha 1 available

Subject: RE: [stella] Stella 2.0 alpha 1 available
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:50:11 -0400
On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, atari2600 wrote:

>> >#1 is to associate actual source code with the binary.  That is, you can
>> >load up a symbolic binary and use that as your base for debugging.  I am
>> >willing to modify DASM to achieve this goal.
>>
>>  Source-level debugging is actually my #1 request too, but wouldn't
someone
>>  need to modify dasm to create a debug info-file during assembly for use
by
>>  Stella, or something of that sort?
>

> Yes, but since I am the official maintainer of DASM and have already made
extensive modifications to the assembler -- I was offering to do just such a
thing :)

Is there really a need? What information would be in the "symbolic
binary" that isn't already in the symbol table file and the listing file
(-s and -l output)?

Yes, source-level debugging is our eventual goal. No, don't expect to
see it in Stella 2.0... though maybe in the next release after that.

I'm hanging onto your list of features. Some of them are already
implemented, some were already planned for 2.0... but some of them are
of the "now why didn't I think of that" variety :)

--
B.