Re: [stella] BASIC functions - ADR()

Subject: Re: [stella] BASIC functions - ADR()
From: Kirk Israel <kirkjerk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 09:33:08 -0400
On 7/8/05, Fred Quimby <c9r@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think I'll make them optional, and allow alphanumeric labels too.  Some
> may wish to code with line numbers, some may not.  Personally, I'm
> accustomed to them since I used BASIC so much in the past.

Yeah, i remember being blown away by some AmigaBasic listings in a
magazine.... "this is SO COOL--  NO lne numbers...would that even
work???? (ponders....) oh I get it! it's the order the stuff appears!"

This gets at the heart of the dual nature of Batari Basic.  Is it a
Basic adhering as closely as possible to the old 8bit Basics some of
us grew up on, or is it an efficient way of writing assembly, that
happens to use Basic syntax? (A floor wax or a dessert topping, so to
geek...errr, speak.)  Combining that with the whole issue of some
things just aren't going to be feasible or at least easy for you to
code, and also your desire to keep it dead simple to use the basic
initial kernal for a simple game, and you have some tough design
decisions ahead of you.