RE: [stella] on Batari BASIC

Subject: RE: [stella] on Batari BASIC
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:18:14 -0400
> I like it.  :)

Good to hear.

> I haven't used it much; debuggers are generally my last resort.  (Though I am, coincidentally, using it right now.)
>
> One thing that would be nice:  when stepping through code, if you could see the next 5-10 instructions in ROM.  And maybe the previous five.  Without that, I am constantly referring back and forth between my code and the debugger, which makes for slow going.

The (currently blank) ROM tab in the GUI will have a scrollable
disassembly/source view.. for now, you can use a command like
"dis pc-5" to disassemble from the current PC minus 5 (bytes, that
is, not instructions).

Actually, I guess this is as good a time as any to mention this:

We've now got automated nightly Stella Windows [*] and Linux builds
available. They're at:

 	http://www.hardcoders.org/stella_nightly/

The build from early this morning has the bare beginnings of source-level
debugging: you can load a listing file (or name it "romname.lst" and it'll
autoload) and view it...

 	dasm file.asm -lfile.lst -sfile.sym -ofile.bin
 	stella file.bin

...then from within the debugger:

 	list $f0f0

...will show the listing starting a couple of lines above the instruction
at address $f0f0. You could also say "list pc" to do the same for the
current program counter. Obviously, there's a *lot* more to source-level
debugging than this, but be patient :)

[*] The Windows zipfiles don't include SDL.dll, since it's kind of big
and doesn't change. You need a copy in either the program directory or
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 or somewhere else Windows will know to look for it.

Enjoy!

--
B.