Re: [stella] on Batari BASIC

Subject: Re: [stella] on Batari BASIC
From: "Fred Quimby" <c9r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:14:07 -0400
>Will Batari BASIC ever support a sound engine as nice as the one in
>Gunfight though? Every once in a while I load up that game just to listen
>to Manuel's rendition of "Ring of Fire". It sounds a lot nicer than most
>Atari 800 BASIC music, even though the POKEY is a better sound chip than
>the TIA...

There are no plans to put in a sophisticated sound engine right now, but
using the new data statement and TIA regs as variables is probably enough to
make decent music, and frankly, this is not really any harder to do than
music in Basic on many of the old 6502's, where you had just pokes and peeks
and all that.

Of course you'd need a frame counter too, but this gives more accurate
control over timing than Basics with software loops, and is much easier to
do here than in other Basics where you had to hijack the IRQ for screen
refresh and write a small asm routine to get accurate timing.