Re: [stella] Status of Stellalist

Subject: Re: [stella] Status of Stellalist
From: Russ Perry Jr <slapdash@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:05:53 -0400
"Kroko" <Nil.Krokodil@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> In the archives, I still only read the line:
>
> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/x-zip which
> had a name of ...]
>
> Is this going to be fixed ?

Still working on that.  Does anyone know a MIME stripper that will strip
off trailer stuff without taking the attachment with it?  That's the problem.
I've asked before and no one has suggested anything, so perhaps it
doesn't exist.

But the zip files in question were already munged before they got to
Biglist as far as I can tell.

And as to the people who are lurking until there's a better alternative...
Isn't that a problem in itself?  The first time people talked about leaving
Biglist, I said that my concern was that it wouldn't be any better -- that
hobbyists couldn't dedicate full-time to maintaining a list either, and at
least Biglist has had plenty of uptime.  It's been months since this first
came up.  I don't believe that I've been so persuasive in convincing
people not to leave Biglist, so why aren't you people gone yet?  Because
it's been months and there still is no direct alternative.  This tells me that
my concern was correct.  Better the devil you know, I say, and I stick to
that.

My major gripe, however, has been people who blame every problem
on Biglist even though many (most?) have not been.  Even Adam's
list dimissal seems to have been prompted by Spamhaus blocking
Biglist (and many other providers') email, not by Biglist just randomly
dropping his address.  Now empty zip files show up, but "it must be
Biglist's fault".  Prove it.  If it IS, I'll let them know.  But if it's another
spam filter somewhere along the way, any mailing list has the potential
to have the same issue.  Will we abandon the next list so quickly too?

Look, you guys have been great, the list has been great, and I understand
why you don't like Biglist for the problems it HAS had.  But don't add
false accusations to the list, and consider that if an alternative hasn't
been set up yet, maybe there's a good reason.  If you're THAT mad
at Stellalist, then maybe you should stick with the AtariAge forums and
not even bother with another list.
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729    slapdash@xxxxxxx [NEW!]  VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||