RE: XML/XSL and ASP/IIS

Subject: RE: XML/XSL and ASP/IIS
From: "Wilson, James.W" <James.W.Wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 06:03:43 -0500
Having played with XT's extension mechanisms (which allow you to hook into
Java) I wonder if XSL+extensions could serve as a 'better ASP' as follows:

source document:

	<mystuff>
		<my-static-stuff>I like eggs</my-static-stuff>
		<my-dynamic-content/>
	</mystuff>

XSL stylesheet:

	[magic incantation here so <magic/> hooks into Java]
	<xsl:template match='my-dynamic-content'><magic/></xsl:template>

Result:
national debt is $25 trillion</p>

it seems like this could be cleaner than embedding scripts into one's source
documents. Everything stays well-formed all the way through, and you don't
mix static content with scripting logic. You can also define a set of
dynamic tags which could serve as, for instance, a department-wide standard.

Presumably there will be ways to hook non-Java stuff (possibly through COM
etc) in the future as well.

Comments? I haven't actually implemented this yet, but plan to when I get a
few moments free.

James