RE: CSS and XSL?

Subject: RE: CSS and XSL?
From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 18:12:05 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Steven Livingstone, ITS, SENM wrote:

> I have read it -
>
> my *opinion* is that CSS really only needs to be used to work with HTML,
> where XSL is limited/not supported.
>
> I personnaly would always use XML with XSL and send CSS to the client if
> this wasn't supported - XSL, to me, is MUCH more powerful than CSS. At the
> same time all of XSL isn't fully implemented, fully supported or even a
> complete standard, so there are no doubt things you can do with CSS in
> browsers (for example..) which you cannot yet reliebly do with XSL ..
>
> Am I wrong ??

I asked another question about xsl's uses, and had not one answer that
would indicate the xsl wasn't needed.  Mine was from a publishing point
of view.

I'm beginning to think that those that wish xsl to go away are narrowly
concerned with their own application, and do not care that xml has more
than one application.

I think you're right.  I also think that most arguments against xsl
aren't well considered.

chuckr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |